Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thank you, Mrs. Hoogeveen

As American Education Week (Nov. 11-17) came to a close and I concluded my week at the Iowa Association of School Boards Delegate Assembly and Convention this year, I was steeped in memories of 8th Grade Social Studies.

That year, I was blessed to study American history and civics under Mrs. Lila Hoogeveen. She had taught my sister, Linda, art, and she had been my first grade teacher – the wonderful lady who rescued my new doll, bringing it to my home when I’d left it at school. Somehow, Mrs. Hoogeveen knew I’d be distressed.

So I was expecting an invigorating year. Mrs. Hoogeveen was obviously an accomplished teacher. And she was known among middle school students for her signature project – the Constitutional Convention of the Continental Congress.

A masterpiece of integrated instruction, this activity included a homework assignment to make a powdered wig to wear while the Congress was in session; a reenactment of the Congress’ agenda to create a Constitution for the United States; and ongoing personal journals, written in the voice of the characters we were assigned.

The entire process modeled democracy in a way which still resonates with me. The hours we delegates spent arguing our positions demonstrated powerfully the difficulty of our founding fathers’ work. We could not adjourn until we completed a Constitution. And not surprisingly, ours did not match the Constitution developed by the real Continental Congress. We learned via experience that democracy depends greatly on the people who participate.

The long hours of discourse and disagreement taught us the hard work that is democracy. And I find myself revisiting that experience as I work at the school board table and as I see our nation prepare for the 2008 elections. Too few people get involved; too few people discuss policies and events; too few people communicate with their representatives.

Although it wasn’t always pretty, Mrs. Hoogeveen’s Constitutional Convention modeled how democratic government should work. And it’s a lesson I’m coming to appreciate more all the time.

So thank you, Mrs. Hoogeveen, for teaching about democracy in way that stuck.

No comments: