Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Taking Hillary at her word

I should have known what was coming when Hillary Clinton announced her intention to run for president. “I’m in it to win it!” she said. And with the Clintons, that means by any means necessary. Which is why I don’t see much difference between Hillary Clinton and George W. Bush.

I know, here it comes. Now I’m a Hillary hater.

Far from it. I voted twice for Bill Clinton, although I had reservations about his support for big business and NAFTA. Personally, my family was able to recover some financially during his tenure in the White House. And I always felt Hillary took way too many hits for being a strong woman.

During the impeachment debacle, I joined Move On because I felt Congress should get on with the people’s business, not the Clinton family’s personal affairs. Now, I’m ready to tell the Clintons, “Move on.”

Why this change? Since becoming a senator, Hillary’s record on key votes has not impressed me. And her inability to admit mistakes, such as voting for the resolution leading to the Iraq War, only serves to remind me of the current occupant of the White House.

As does the Clintons' current behavior on the campaign trail. Lies, innuendo, allegations of voter suppression – all the things we have lived through under George W. Bush.

It simply appalls me. How could a former president and his wife so endanger their own legacy? Do they care about their party and country?

To me, it demonstrates a lack of concern for the people’s needs and the people’s business. “In it to win it” tells me all I need to know. For Bill and Hillary Clinton, the presidency is about them, not me and my family. That’s why Hillary won’t get my vote.

No comments: