Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Have you thanked a teacher today?

Did you know today is National Teacher Day? It’s always Tuesday of the first full week in May.

Being married to a teacher, I am reminded of this observance via the annual arrival of graduation announcements from Curt’s former students. Some of the kids were in his classroom; some of them ran on his cross country team. And they may not know it, but their invitations give my husband great joy as he celebrates their accomplishments and the time they shared.

It also reminds me of the teachers in my life who’ve helped shape my course. On my mind as I write this column are two: my 8th grade social studies teacher and the college professor who taught expository and persuasive writing. They are a study in contrasts.

Some of you may know my Social Studies teacher, Lila Hoogeveen, as she’s still active here in southwest Iowa. A creative dynamo, Mrs. Hoogeveen developed a marvel of integrated learning: the Convention of the Continental Congress.

This activity included a homework assignment to make a powdered wig to wear while the Congress was in session; a reenactment of the Congress’ agenda to create a Constitution for the United States; and ongoing personal journals, written in the voice of our assigned characters. The entire process modeled democracy in a way which still resonates with me.

The hours we delegates spent arguing our positions demonstrated powerfully the difficulty of our founding fathers’ work. It was uncomfortable, messy and slow, much like real governing. And that picture of our democratic process has stuck with me and given me patience during my own work as an engaged citizen.

In contrast, my college professor, whose name I cannot even remember, drilled into me strong skills without much appreciation or awareness from me. A creative writer, I wasn’t excited about the class, but it fit my schedule and fulfilled a credit. So I hunkered down and did the work for the desired grade.

It was a work-intensive course, with assignments for nearly every class. And my instructor marked each assignment with constructive criticism. We also had assigned reading to develop our understanding of logic and persuasion.

While this professor’s low key kill-and-drill style didn’t inspire excitement and admiration at the time, I credit her with my ability to tap out this column every other week without much difficulty.

Of course, these two teachers aren’t alone in my teacher Hall of Fame. I could tell you stories (and probably will) about other influential teachers in my life. I owe them all a debt and honor them for their work.

So today, I’d ask you to thank a teacher in your life. Copious research highlights that learning is anchored in strong teacher-student relationships. That gets lost in all the talk about test scores, accountability and reform.

Because no number can measure the skills, values and understanding teachers like Mrs. Hoogeveen and my writing professor develop when they give students their time, effort and attention. We need to remember that whenever we hear calls for education reform.

No comments: