Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Post-election: Where do we go from here?

Regardless of the outcome of this election, Americans need to unite if we expect to solve our collective problems. I have been thinking about that a lot as we approached Election Day, in large part as a consequence of get-out-the-vote canvassing.

Knocking on strangers’ doors to ask them a series of questions and hopefully move them to act is not an easy task. But what strikes me is the difficulty we have in engaging in conversation. I don’t think I have a threatening persona, so I am always bemused by people who refuse to open their doors to me.

I am also curious about the people from the other end of the political spectrum who flatly refuse to speak me. Are they so certain they are correct that they won’t waste time trying to change my mind? Or are they so afraid I might have some valid points they refuse to risk confronting that possibility?

Whatever the reason, I am saddened and disappointed at our society’s inability to converse honestly about our situation.

And yes, I’ve heard it’s “not polite to talk about politics or religion.” But you know, I think that’s flat out wrong. We can only learn and grow when we confront new or different ideas and grapple with them. We wouldn’t have a Constitution if members of the Continental Congress had been unable to meet, discuss (or argue) and negotiate a document for a new government for these United States.

No matter what the shouting talking heads on talk radio and political TV tell you, I’m willing to listen to your point of view. You just need to be prepared that I will ask you lots of questions and expect you to hear out my perspective. You might even be surprised to find we agree on points. This is how we make progress.

Contrast this to our Congress, particularly Conservative members, during the last four years. The entire Republican agenda has been to block the Democratic President at every turn; no negotiating. That is not governing.

Whether you are a Republican, Democrat, Independent or something else, tomorrow we will need to stand together to demand our new representatives work for citizen interests, not corporate dollars. If we expect to get anything out of our government, and the fourth estate of the press (corporate media especially), we are going to have to demand and protest for changes.

Because a citizen’s job doesn’t end with the vote — that’s where it begins. And I think the last 30 years demonstrate clearly my school superintendent friend’s belief “if you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu.”

I think that’s what Ben Franklin meant when he responded to the woman who asked about the results of the Continental Congress’ deliberations and the kind of government the new nation had.

According to the story, he responded, “A Republic – if you can keep it.”

No comments: