Thursday, January 19, 2012

Caucuses and Primaries: Do you know the difference between the two?

Hallelujah, the caucuses are over! My phone no longer rings off the hook, we get through meals uninterrupted, and local TV news reporters are back to covering accidents, crimes and sporting events.

But after surviving the latest round of political reporting, I have to wonder how many people really understand our political system? Let me give you a couple of examples.

On the morning of the caucuses, I was watching the early news on one of the three Omaha network affiliates. The reporter interviewing a metro-area Republican Party official asked about the anticipated number of voters attending. However, the caucuses aren’t open to every voter; they are for the political parties’ members.

Those participating must choose which party caucus to attend and must be willing to register as a party member, even if it’s only temporarily.

Generally only a fraction of each party’s registered voters, usually those most active, participate in the caucuses.

Another point to remember is each party’s rules are different.

While the Republican Party uses a secret ballot voting system for caucus goers to choose their candidate, Democrats use a system of conversation, wrangling and consensus to distribute elected delegates to chosen candidates.

Iowa is one of few states still using the caucus system; most have primaries. But even the primaries, in which votes are cast, are a function of the parties.

And rules vary from state to state. Some states only allow party members to vote; others require open primaries that allow voters of any party to participate in the primary of their choice.

I bring it up because the same reporter used the terms “primary” and “caucus” as though they are interchangeable.

But not only do local reporters get things wrong. I was disappointed to hear Rachel Maddow of MSNBC, a political reporter who usually does better research than most, complaining the Iowa caucuses aren’t democratic. Hello? Party function, Rachel.

Which leads me to ask if American citizens know enough about our system and candidates to make informed decisions? It’s a question with which the founding fathers wrestled. It’s why our system elects presidents via both the popular vote and the Electoral College.

For those who don’t know, the Electoral College began as part of the original design of the U.S. Constitution and was established as a compromise between election of the president by Congress and by the popular vote. Citizens vote for the electors who then vote for the President.

However I find low citizen participation the most disappointing part of our system. For a country known for promoting its democracy, too many citizens choose NOT to exercise their rights. I am speaking from experience.

Although I have always voted in state and national elections and advocated on individual issues, I was a registered independent for 30 years.

But having lived most of my life in states with closed primaries and caucuses, I finally got tired of letting others choose my candidates for the general election.

So instead of complaining about my choices in 2008, I decided to participate in the process. I recommend others do the same.

You learn a lot by doing.

No comments: